Once you’ve finally secured your new home and firmly got your foot on the property ladder, before you take the next step you need to get everything sorted for your big move.
This guide can help as it’s full of great house moving tips that we’ve detailed in chronological order as a handy house moving checklist. We’ve also explained everything you need to know including when to start planning, packing and also some of the other house moving admin you may need to do along the way.
A month before you move
With about four weeks to go before you move, you should look to do the following:
- Get some quotes and estimates from removal companies or self-drive van hire firms if you want to move your belongings yourself. Removals can be quite a sizeable house moving cost so be sure to shop around.
- Source some sturdy packing boxes and get anything that isn’t essential boxed up and ready to move – however you can also pay a removal company to do this for you.
- If you’re moving out of rented accommodation, let your utility companies know when you plan on moving out.
- Shop around for home and contents insurance quotes and have your cover ready to start for the day you move.
- Book time off work if you need to, it’s best to take a few days either side of your move so you don’t feel rushed.
- Order you broadband and TV package if required
Half way through the month
With around two weeks to go until you move you should:
- Arrange for the Post Office to redirect your mail to your new address.
- Notify important business/domestic and financial/ personal services of change of address, this can cover:
- Credit card companies
- Insurance policies
- Private health
- TV licenses
- Car registration
- Pet microchips
The week before you move
In the final run up to the big day, give yourself a week to:
- Confirm your moving arrangements with the van hire or removal firm
- Box up your final belongings and label these with what’s in them.
- Double-check all storage areas have been cleared both inside and outside the house you’re currently living in.
- Contact your solicitors again to confirm a time for collecting your keys on the day.
When the big day arrives be sure to go over the following:
- Get up extra early and pack up any items you’d left out for essential use.
- Load up your hired van or wait for your removals company and get your belongings moved to your new home.
- Collect your keys.
- Take your final meter readings to send to your utility companies to close off your accounts.
- Have a final tidy up and clean – if you’re moving out of rented accommodation this will most likely be a stipulation in your contract.
- If you’re moving out of rented accommodation, return your keys to your landlord or letting agent.
How Kier Living can help
If you’re purchasing a new build property from one of our developments as your first home, you can also count on support from our teams from your initial consultation all the way through to the day you move in. If you’d like to learn more about this, or if you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.