Darwen is a quintessential Lancastrian town in the centre of the county. Located amid the West Pennine Moors of Blackburn, it stands within a valley with the River Darwen flowing at its base. The river passes through the town from south to north, subsequently joining the River Ribble, one of the longest rivers in North West England.
The Parish Church of Darwen is St Peter's, a large and active Anglican Church consecrated in 1829. The Medina Mosque and Islamic Centre, is located on Victoria Street.