The nearby historic market town of Barnard Castle takes its name from the castle which it grew around and dates back to the 12th century. The remains of the castle, now a Grade 1 listed building, overlook the River Tees which today is a popular destination for canoeist and anglers.
In the centre of the town stands an octagonal building, the Market Cross known locally as, the ‘Butter Market’, built by Thomas Breaks and given to the town in 1747. Legend has it that the two bullet holes in the weather vane are the result of a shooting competition between a volunteer soldier and a local gamekeeper in 1804!
Tourism is important to the local economy with the town incorporating a number of antique shops and an antiques centre which attracts buyers from all over the world.